2009-03-23

The "Chinese Eyes" Epidemic


Okay. So I'm really wondering if this is the new trend now. Really? Chinese eyes? In case you do not know who this person is, and I have no idea until I read further into the story, this is apparently a Jonas Brother. Supposedly a big deal in music. I don't know or care about this persons name, I just know that he is a celebrity and it's big news. But that is not why I am reporting it. I have noticed a disturbing trend lately when it comes to celebrities/athletes pictures and them having the need to raise their fingers to their eyes and make "Chinese eyes".

First it was the Spanish Olympic basketball team posing in an add for the Olympics, which was hosted in China. Then, more recently, it was Miley Cyrus caught at a party making "Chinese eyes" for the camera. And now this. Now many people who have been outraged with these pictures recently, is claiming that all participants involved in these types of photos are being openly racist. Normally I would tend to argue the point until I am blue in the face. However, I tend to agree with that notion. What would possess a person, who is posing for a picture, to think "Hey, here's an idea. Let's all put our hands to our faces and make Chinese eyes. That should be fun." Umm. No. No. NO. You no funny. You're just making a mockery of yourself, a mockery of the Asian culture and admitting to the world that deep inside you are a racist. People do not try this. It's just not cool.














1 comment:

  1. Ridiculous!!! It is kinda letting the world know you're racist deep down inside.

    ReplyDelete